Our work has been vetted and will be continually monitored by Buy With Confidence, which is a partnership of Local Authority Trading Standards Services. The scheme covers local businesses which have given their commitment to trading fairly. Every business listed has undergone a series of detailed checks before being approved as a member of the scheme.

 Welcome    About Our Service     Adaptations and Improvements  Smaller Jobs    Testimonials  

The Old Crumpet Factory

16 Brockham Lane


Surrey RH3 7EL

01737 845630


Visit our Facebook page. Opens in a new tab. Visit our YouTube page. Opens in a new tab. Visit our Google+ page. Opens in a new tab   Contact Us  News Items
  Your Possibilities     Your Funding Options     Disabled Facilities Grants     Repairs     Occupational Therapist     Case Studies  

Most local authorities have put certain funds aside to assist residents to repair, improve or adapt their homes. Below, is a brief description of the services Mole Valley and Reigate & Banstead Councils offer. Our team can help and will advise you as to whether you might be eligible to apply for any of these grants or loans.

For smaller, every day repairs Independent Home Solutions runs a comprehensive handy person service. Please see our Smaller Jobs page for more information.


Mole Valley District Council's (MVDC) Environmental Health team offer various forms of housing assistance each year which are published in the Housing Assistance Policy. The Council works in partnership with Independent Home Solutions and their team can advise and guide you if you are considering applying for one of the MVDC grants or loans.

The MVDC Housing Assistance policy describes in detail the grants available from Environmental Health, together with details about the type of works covered by these grants. You can also check in this policy whether you are likely to be eligible for one of these grants and whether the form of assistance you would like to apply for is means tested (statutory test of resources).

Types of assistance available 

If the grant you would like to apply for is means tested, you will need to complete the 'Means Test Form for Discretionary Grants' and return this together with the required application form.

Please note that these grants take time to process. Some complicated cases can take more than a year to complete. This is one reason why MVDC uses a Home Improvement Agency, Independent Home Solutions, to assist with the grant process. They will visit your property after applying to help with forms and to obtain quotes.

How do I apply?

If you would like to apply for one of these forms of assistance, please contact Independent Home Solutions and an advisor will discuss your requirements with you.

Mole Valley District Council
Reigate & Banstead Borough Council

This page is about small-scale home repairs and adaptations which Reigate & Banstead Council can provide.  Their policy for financial assistance with repairs to dwellings seeks to encourage personal responsibility and self-reliance of owner-occupiers to maintain and repair their homes. 

However it is acknowledged that there will be an ongoing need for assistance for some owner occupiers with grant aid to deal with urgent repairs. 

Small-scale home repair assistance is available where there is either an immediate need for works to be undertaken or the works would be required within the next year.

Such works would enable the occupier to remain independent in their own home and ensure that it is in a safe, secure and weather tight condition.

Grant payments

Small scale home repairs assistance is available for 100% of the estimated expense for eligible works up to a maximum of £500 on each application. Assistance over a three year period cannot be more than £1,000.

Loan payments

Where the cost of works will be between £501 and £5,000, the Council can offer a loan to finance the cost of the works.  This will be repayable if the property is sold within 35 years from the date of the loan being made.  The loan is interest free.  The requirement to repay will stop after 35 years. The loan limit is £5,000 for each application and assistance over a three year period cannot normally be more than £5,000. The loan will be registered as a local land charge.  

Take advice

Please note all applicants seeking assistance are recommended to take independent legal, financial and other advice concerning the signing of the loan agreement and the registration of the local land charge.

In the event that a grant or loan is approved at the maximum amount and there are unforeseen works which prevent completion of works, the Head of Service, in consultation with the Executive Member for Housing, has delegated authority to increase the maximum by up to £1,000.

A bona fide invoice must accompany all requests for payments from one of the contractors whose estimates were submitted with the application and be receipted as paid, unless the payment is being made direct to the contractor.

Invoices from a member of the applicants family will not be acceptable. Invoices for materials only from a third party will be acceptable.

N.B. do not start work until you have received written approval from the Council (Housing and Pollution).

If you are elderly, (over 60), disabled or vulnerable, the Council has an agency service run by "Independent Home Solutions" to provide you with help and advice on all housing matters. If you want any help with the filling out of the application form or in arranging for the work, please contact them and an advisor will be able to assist you.   Tel: 01737 845630       

If you live with family members

Please note that if you live with family members who could reasonably be expected to contribute towards the cost of the works, assistance will not be available. 

Keeping in mind that these grants are at the discretion of the Council, the types of work that can be grant-aided by either of the Councils may include:

(a) Repairs

(b) Improvements

Who is eligible?

To qualify for assistance an applicant must:-

(a) be aged 18 or over on the date of application;

(b) be an owner-occupier;

(c) be on income related benefit (and if under 60 years of age have been in receipt of such benefit for at least 6 months), i.e.

(d) have a power or duty to carry out the works

Such assistance will not be available to tenants of Registered Social Landlords.

Any applicant that is under 60 years of age will have to have been in receipt of benefit for 6 months prior to making an application.

Small Scale Improvements